Subject: Fwd: XFree86 on an iMac
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: leo <leonardo.disanto@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/21/2005 21:53:31
hi,

finally got an XFree86 binary with debug symbols, it was not really easy

On 8/19/05, Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net> wrote:
> It's easy to build a monolithic Xserver the traditional way ( via make
> World in xsrc/xfree/xc ) - just put something like this into your
> host.cf ( in config/cf/ ):

this was host.def   :)

> #define BuildDebug              YES
> #define XF86CardDrivers         ati
> #define DoLoadableServer        NO
> #define BuildFonts              NO

With this configuration i got a monolitic Xserver but there was no
debug information inside, so i modified the Makefile in
programs/Xserver to add the -g switch.
From there, with "make XFree86", I got (making by hand some
dependencies here and there) a gigantic 51854329 bytes binary. i'm
sure there was an easier and cleanier way :)

well, after playing for a couple of hours with X and gdb i got to the
point where the screen goes black...  is inside the function
ATIModeSet at line 951 of

xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/ati/atimode.c

the exact code line is

outr(CRTC_GEN_CNTL, pATIHW->crtc_gen_cntl & ~(CRTC_EXT_DISP_EN | CRTC_EN));

where

pATIHW->crtc_gen_cntl =3D  1258291712

I have the entire pATIHW  struct just before this instruction but is
quite big so i will not spam the list unless requested

I think I reached a point where things are far beyond my knowledge, it
has been fun   :-)

Leonardo