Subject: Re: XFree86 on an iMac
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: leo <leonardo.disanto@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/18/2005 15:53:20
hi

On 8/18/05, Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Odd. Did you try anything in 8 bit? Your XFree86.0.log reports 6MB VRAM,
> I remember others having problems with 'odd' sizes like that and XFree,
> but that was quite some time ago. Does anything change when you limit
> the amount of VRAM to 4MB in XF86Config?

this macs have 2 meg soldered on board and a sodimm slot with  another
4 megs, so I tried with VideoRam both at 2 and 4 MB in 8 16 24 bpp=20
(nearly all permutations :) and still nothing....

> Please try this kernel:
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/macallan/macppc/netbsd_GENERIC_08_18=
.bz2
> It's a -current GENERIC with a hacked console driver ( so it can
> run machfb nicked from sparc64 ) - please send me the dmesg output. If
> it works properly you'll probably want to keep it since machfb will give
> you colours, virtual consoles and it uses the blitter for all graphics
> operations.

the console is WAY faster with this kernel thanks, moreover there is
not garbage on the screen when I exit X ,unfortunately X does still
not work :(

here is the dmsg after rebooting with your kernel
http://www.webalice.it/chame.leon/snapshot/dmesg.txt

Leonardo