Subject: Re: XFree86 on an iMac
To: leo <>
From: Michael <>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/17/2005 20:12:36

> digging into the port-ppc archives i found several messages about the
> state of the mach64 and how many people have problems with it...

Yeah. My Problem is - I don't have any mach64 hardware in a Mac so I can
only guess what's going on. I'll probably have an iMac 233MHz to play
with in the not too far future though, then things might get better.

> as a last resort i decided to try a more bleeding edge version of
> netbsd, so i got a daily snapshot of netbsd3 (built on 13/8) and
> installed it...

I was going to recommend that.

> well this time X11 runs, unfortunately i'm not able to see it because
> as soon as X starts the monitor goes into standby (and the power
> button becames orange), when i kill X the monitor exits standby and
> the power button becames again green... :(

So the driver apparently programs something the monitor can't display.
Odd. It works just fine on sparc64.

> at least this is a change to the "(EE) No devices detected." i have
> seen so far, the logs shows that the video chipset is recognized
> correctly

At least something. Can you try with more conservative settings, or
something that should match whatever your iMac comes up with?

(**) ATI(0): *Default mode "1024x768": 65.0 MHz, 48.4 kHz, 60.0 Hz
I'm not sure your iMac can display this - I thought the early iMac
monitors maxed out at around 800x600 or so.

have fun

Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (NetBSD)