Subject: Re: disklabel warning
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: dixie <dixieml@imap.cc>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/10/2005 11:05:05
Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 07:06:14PM +0200, dixie wrote:
>
>>Ward Coessens wrote:
>>

>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I'm trying to install netbsd 2.0.2 on a powerpc 8600(250, of 1.0.5). I
>>>have no experience with this release, or with other BSD- variants, so
>>>maybe this is an stupid question. When the installer runs "disklabel"
>>>it reports a warning( disklabel: invalid signature in mbr 0). at the
>>>end of the installation, pdisk reports only 1 partition, size 1024m
>>>(and a apple partition map)
>>
>>Of course it does :), you cannot create partitions with disklabel(5) on
>>a macppc machine, due to some disklabel's limitations I guess.
>

> You actually can. However it's better if you don't.
>
> pdisk is the better way to go. The problem with disklabel(5) is that the
> label we use overwrites part of the device driver section in an Apple
> partition map, so you can mess up your ability to boot a disk on an old
> system.
>
> Take care,
>
> Bill

Forgive me :) last time I read something about disklabel on macppc was
months ago.
Additionally, without any particular reason I assumed he asked that with
a dual-boot pourpose.
Thank you for the explanation, but now I've another question.
You mentioned the device driver section of a partition map, and so does
the Partitioning Howto:

    1: Apple_partition_map Apple           63 @ 1
    2: Apple_Driver43*Macintosh            56 @ 64
    3: Apple_Driver43*Macintosh            56 @ 120
    4: Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh          56 @ 176
    5: Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh          56 @ 232
    6: Apple_FWDriver Macintosh            512 @ 288
    7: Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh        512 @ 800

Now, I cannot remember if my original APM had such kind of "partitions"
but my actual one does not have any of them for sure.
Are they useful only on old systems? (mine has OF v3)
What are they supposed to be/do?
Thank you.

Regards

d.