Subject: Re: x problems on iMac DV
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Mauro <mcepeda@ualberta.ca>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/07/2005 13:09:27
--Apple-Mail-1--894320124

Are there plans to automating X's configuration?  I got X working.
Thanks for the help.  I now have netbsd running X.  The below is for
documentation purposes, followed by a simple question.

Andres

On 31-Jul-05, at 9:02 AM, Allen Wong wrote:

> Try my XF86Config file.  It worked on my 350MHz G3 iMac with a Rage
> 128:
>
> http://www.submoron.org/docs/XF86Config
>
> Let me know if it works for you.
>
> Allen
> --
> Don't just do something, stand there.
>  8:00AM  up 106 days,  7:36, 5 users, load averages: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00

Thanks, I think I definitely needed to configure my mouse properly.
I still can't get X up,
/etc/var/log/XFree86.0.log says Fatal server error: can't switch
keyboard to raw mode.  Enable support for it in the kernel or use for
example:

Option   "Protocol"   "wskbd"
Option   "Device"     "/dev/wskbd0"
I found out this pertains to a bug:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-bugs/2004/06/14/0001.html

Are there plans to fix this?

I do edit XF86Config but startx now tells me:
ksh: startx: not found
and
/usr/X11R6/bin/startx tells me:
xauth: not found
xinit:  not found

Yes, I do have startx in my $HOME path in ~/.profile.

I had to exit because ksh as # and $ was not accepting many commands
such as reboot.  I logged back in, and everything seems fine.  Weird.

startx
Config Error:
cannot open "dev/wskbd0"
(EE) Unable to determine the screen layout
(EE) Error partsing the config file

Fatal server error:
no screens found.

So I changed
Option   "Device"     "/dev/wskbd0"
Option   "Device"     "/dev/wskbd"

  and "startx" from $ works!

But exiting wm doesn't return one to console.  I get a black screen.  I
can see why some documents recommend installing xdm, gdm, or kdm.

Is it alright for the wm to just reboot or halt straight from X thus
killing X and the wm ungracefully?

--Apple-Mail-1--894320124

configuration?  I got X working.

Thanks for the help.  I now have netbsd running X.  The below is for
documentation purposes, followed by a simple question.

Andres

Try my XF86Config file.  It worked on my 350MHz G3 iMac with a Rage
128:

http://www.submoron.org/docs/XF86Config

Let me know if it works for you.

Allen

--

Don't just do something, stand there.

 8:00AM  up 106 days,  7:36, 5 users, load averages: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00

</excerpt>

[...]

</color>
--Apple-Mail-1--894320124--