Subject: x problems on iMac DV
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Mauro <mcepeda@ualberta.ca>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/30/2005 23:34:42
Hi, phew !  I just installed netbsd on a iMac DV.

I've already looked thru the mailing lists and only found an unanswered
question to this list from a few years ago at
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2000/03/14/0005.html

I'm wondering if iMac DV (with an ATI  Rage 128) can run X as I am
having trouble configuring it.  When I pass startx, the screen goes
black.  I can't seem to get into another console by using any variation
of cntrl+option+F1-12 as the screen stays black.  cntrl-option-+ does
not cycle thru modes as the screen stays black.  cntrl+option+backspace
does not kill X.  By coincidence I've realized that cntrl+option+F1,
then blindly typing 'su', 'MysuPassword', then 'reboot' gets me out of
this jam.

I ran xf85config as #.  These are the details of it.
-wrote it to user's ~, then cp'd to /etc/X11 as # (tried and tested on
fbsd and obsd)
-xfree is the server, as checking /usr/X11R6/bin shows X linked to
/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86
-105-key leyboard
-no us variant
-no additional XKB
-H to 60-60 (works on other unices)
-V to 75-117 (works on other unices)
-called the monitor "iMac Monitor" without quotes
-selected Rage 128 as video card
-selected ram to be 8834 (this is hashed in the config file anyway)
-ok'd modes (should run thru anything the card/monitor doesn't support.
  There was nothing out of the ordinary anyway)
-set default to 16, but also tried 8 (work on 16 and 24 on other unices)

PS-console scrolls very slowly

I'm not sure about the below, although I can't see it being the reason
for X's failing.
-selected IMPS/2 for my usb m$ mouse, using /dev/input/mice but I
gather /dev /wsmouse is probably correct?

As I can't find sample xf86Configs of Rage 128 based machines running
nbsd, I thought nbsd might not support X on the Rage 128 despite the
netbsd macppc X11 page stipulating, "XFree86 supports a small subset of
all supported macppc models, but it is a much more capable X server --
it handles resolution switching and more than 8 bpp color depth, in
addition to some acceleration."
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/x11.html#which-x

If this is wrong there should some sort of notice on the main macppc
page (or the X11 macppc page) rather than the general, " ... XFree86
supports ... more than 8 bpp color depth, in addition to some
acceleration".

Any assistance is appreciated.  If Rage 128 is not supported, I'd
appreciate, though disappointing, response.