Subject: Re: More MCHK stuff
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/18/2005 14:25:27
> At least on the MPC74[45-57] (G4 family), your change would be fine;
> dcbi and dcbf are supposed to be identical except that dcbi is a
> privelged instruction. I don't see any indication that it's a problem,
> though - this seems like a G2-core-specific issue.

Does anyone see any reason to not commit this change? I've read what I can
about dcbi versus dcbf, and it seems that dcbf is more appropriate,
anyway. I'm not entirely sure of all of the instances where DMA is going
on when we arrive at BUS_DMASYNC_POSTREAD, but I think it's pretty safe to
assume that we'd never even theoretically have an instance where another
DMA operation is changing data that matches a cache line that was part of
what was going on with the DMA operation that resulted in ending up at
BUS_DMASYNC_POSTREAD. Therefore, writing back to memory should never be an
issue.

Am I understanding this wrong, or should we never have a problem flushing
a cache line when we get to BUS_DMASYNC_POSTREAD?

John