Subject: Installing on an iBook
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: James Buchanan <jamesb.au@iinet.net.au>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/13/2005 05:08:53
Hi,

I have an Apple iBook, which has an ATI Radeon Mobility video card.  I'm
not sure if that helps identify what model it is.  (Is there some way to
tell?)  I don't know how to get into the OF prompt with it.

I find the instructions for installing NetBSD confusing.  Do I need to
run the MacOS X install CD to partition the disk?  I only want NetBSD
installed on it.

I tried to load NetBSD when I had Linux installed, but the CD wouldn't
boot from the first stage bootloader when holding down the "c" key.
When I got to the yaboot prompt, it complained that ofwboot.xcf wasn't a
valid ELF kernel image.

It seems I have to keep an Apple bootstrap partition which is always
~36K, then some other Apple partition (would this be the HFS partition
the install guides talk about?), then a partition named NetBSD or
something.  (Is that the "name" field or the "type" field?)

I'm trying to install from a NetBSD 2.0.2 CD.

Thanks for any help.
James