Subject: Help: booting official CD on powerbook G3 series
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Dominic Williams <netbsd@dominicwilliams.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/11/2005 16:58:09
Hello,

I still can't work out how to boot the official 2.0.2 CD on my powerbook
G3 series (OF 2.0.x).

I have followed the instructions in the manual:

- upgraded NVRAM
- set OF variables
- programmed OF to stop at OF prompt

I can do dev / ls and devalias. devalias gives me ide1, ide4 as well as
scsi and scsi-int... but not cd. So I tried all the boot command examples
in the manual, but none work. boot cd... appears to start booting, then I
get the flashing ? on a floppy icon. The other's just return CAN'T OPEN.

I am wondering whether my CD is pure ISO9660. I have tried burning it
using Disk Copy on my iMac under OS X, but also from a PC under windows,
to avoid having a hybrid.

I understand the official CD is funky and cannot be read using a dir
command. How can I burn a pure ISO9660? How can I make sure the CD itself
is OK? How else can I find the CD-ROM device? Should I use something other
than the official CD? Any other suggestions welcome...

Cheers,

Dominic Williams.