Subject: still G4 problems
To: netbsd-macppc <port-macppc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/08/2005 14:35:26
Hello,

the G4 troubles after my card update are still driving me crazy...

I compiled kernels with proper L2 cache support with -O0, -O1, -O2, -O3.
The stablest seems to me -O2.
It can take me several hours of activity to crash the kernel. If it
does, "mchk" is the typical error.

I then compiled a kernel without cache support and it worked for a
couple of days without troubles (-O2). The I made a krnel with "write
through" cache (-O2) and it was quite stable, it crashed after some
days. (days... I shut down the computer at night thus it is not
continuous uptime)

of course I have no guarantee that the kernel without cache doesn't
crash, since a -O2 kernel (especially with WT) took so long to crash...
also it is so slow that I couldn't really use the computer :)

I really think the kernel has a g4 problem. Others suffer from the same
problem...

Also it is a problem related to use, posisbly disk activity. Just
leaving the computer on with "setiathome" running doesn't crash the
computer even after hours.

Typical culprits are cvs updates and compiles.

-R