Subject: Re: confused about video board !
To: None <speeder@aliceposta.it>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/01/2005 16:56:44
--Signature_Fri__1_Jul_2005_16_56_44_-0400_11d8Fbf9SLZ=31e9

> isn't possible to accelerate the video support in netbsd kernel ?

Because macppc is hardwired to use a generic OpenFirmware framebuffer
console. There's an inofficial hack that allows voodoo3- and some
Mach64-based graphics controllers to work as accelerated console though.

> why is GENRIC compiled without video cached ?

Because it causes problems on a some machines.

> is it possible to include matrox initialization to use a PC matrox ?

It's certainly possible but a lot of work. Download the Macintosh
firmware from Matrox ( freely available for Millennium I and II PCI
cards ) - these still don't work as OpenFirmware console though ( at
least not for me )

> (gentoo-hppa does it, so it should be possible to "grab" the matrox=20
> initialization into netbsd kernel, i don't like to reflash my matrox=20
> bios to allow powermac 4400 firmware to initialize it, i'd like the=20
> netbsd kernel do it)

Write it yourself. Why do you dislike flashing Mac firmware into a card
you want to use in a Mac? NetBSD uses OF to boot so what you're asking
for doesn't make much sense because it wouldn't give you an OF console.

> also .......... voodoo2 ?
> is it possible to use a voodoo2 ?

As console? No. Since Voodoo2 cards have no ROM there's no way to make
them work as OF console. For X? Maybe, there's a driver lurking
somewhere but I don't know if anyone ever tried to use it on NetBSD.
Even then it would be unaccelerated because the Voodoo2 has no
traditional blitter. You could probably use the texture processors to
emulate something like that though.

> my question is easy; the 4400 text console is too slow, how to make it
> really usable ?

Build your own kernel with options OFB_ENABLE_CACHE

have fun
Michael