Subject: Re: [Still] can't startx
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: zeta.orionis <zeta.orionis@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/29/2005 17:50:29
> The CD installer should be able to upgrade your installation of you can
> get the tarballs and simply unpack them ( remember tar's p option to
> get
> permissions right and either skip etc.tgz or backup your changes in
> /etc
> )
Okay, but what exactly is the CD installer? I'm looking in
ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-2.0.2/macppc/ and can only see
two directories, installation and binary, and the installation
directory only contains bootloaders. I'm not sure what I need from the
binary one.

> but I don't see how this would help to get X11 going.
The comment that the problem was "most likely somewhere between the OS
and
the Xserver" made me think it might, but maybe I was reading that
wrongly. I don't know enough to know where to start on patching X and
the kernel, so my strategy was change to another version of X, or
another kernel, and hope one of them worked.