Subject: Re: newbie question, boot cd on beige g3
To: Pangrazio, Robert Thomas (UMR-Student) <rtp6xc@umr.edu>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/28/2005 10:11:40
--Signature_Tue__28_Jun_2005_10_11_40_-0400_3+zyOfUixuM1xKcc

> I know I spent about 3 hours trying to get it to boot, only to realize
> that the way I was trying to get it to boot was completely wrong.

Welcome to the world of screwed up OpenFirmware.

> I know a lot of you out there are going to say that I should have read
> the manual better. That is a fair and valid point.

I won't - if you got away with only 3 hours on your first install you
did pretty well ;)

> However, how are we ever going to increase the user base of this
> system if the documentation is hard to follow?

OF 1.0.5 is extremely b*tchy, no manual can change that. I had to fiddle
around with it for quite some time until it suddenly worked ( and did
ever since ). Yes, the manual is suboptimal, but the oddities in OF
1.0.5 alone would fill a book. Maybe there should be separate guides for
OF 1 and 2 or newer.
Installing on an iBook G4 was no problem at all, no idea if that's
because OF 3 is just less troublesome ( what it doubtlessly is ) or
because I actually knew what I'm doing ;)

> Too often we lose users to other OS's not because the alternative is
> better, but because they can install it.

Yeah, something to boot from MacOS would be a nice addition so people
wouldn't have to mess with OF to boot the install CD.

have fun
Michael