Subject: FW: newbie question, boot cd on beige g3
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Pangrazio, Robert Thomas (UMR-Student) <rtp6xc@umr.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/28/2005 08:35:53
I was, or still am depending on how you look at it a newbie to
NetBSD/macppc. I have installed it on an Umax s900 successfully. What I
would like to say is maybe the install notes would be easier to follow
if instead of this format:
Task 1
	If ofw version 1
	If ofw version 2
	If ofw version 3
	..
Task 2
	If ofw version 1
	If ofw version 2
	If ofw version 3
	..

This format was user

If ofw version 1
	Task 1
	Task 2
If ofw version 2
	Task 1
	Task 2

If ofw version 3
	Task 1
	Task 2

I know I spent about 3 hours trying to get it to boot, only to realize
that the way I was trying to get it to boot was completely wrong. I know
a lot of you out there are going to say that I should have read the
manual better. That is a fair and valid point. However, how are we ever
going to increase the user base of this system if the documentation is
hard to follow? Too often we lose users to other OS's not because the
alternative is better, but because they can install it. I have installed
several different OS's in my time, ranging from Linux to Irix, to
Windows (not so much anymore) and of course NetBSD. I found none to be
that complicated, but NetBSD's documentation to be the hardest to
follow. Maybe my suggestion is not the best, but I do believe there is
room for improvement, and this is an easy area to improve on.