Subject: Re: newbie question, boot cd on beige g3
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Dominic Williams <netbsd@dominicwilliams.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/27/2005 14:09:41
I am having similar trouble booting the CD on a G3 series.

Chris Tribo wrote:

 > You need the system disk or startup disk patches
 > loaded

I did follow the instructions to patch the NVRAM using
System Disk. Is there a way to tell whether that
worked?

setient@terra.powix.org wrote:

 > that is for new world macs the ofwboot.xcf.  beige
 > g3's are old world you also need to set the boot
 > file.  it should be NETBSD.MACPPC. however it is in
 > the documentation as described here

Tinyurl to the install notes:

http://tinyurl.com/avjrt

I tried all the examples provided in that document:

0 > boot cd:0 NETBSD.MACPPC
0 > boot scsi-int/sd@3:0 NETBSD.MACPPC
0 > boot scsi/sd@3:0 NETBSD.MACPPC
0 > boot ata/atapi-disk:0 NETBSD.MACPPC
0 > boot ide1/disk@0:0 NETBSD.MACPPC

But get "CAN'T OPEN" for all of them. When I list the
devices, and the devalias, I can't see any that look
like that. I've tried both boot and dir commands on all
those devices, and some that I actually see when I list
my devices, but to no avail.

So right now I'm still trying to find the CD device,
and to do list its contents to find the NETBSD.MACPPC
file.

Unfortunately I can't paste the output of the dev / ls
command...

Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers,

Dominic Williams.