Subject: Re: Sonnet G4/350 PCI upgrade card
To: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/27/2005 12:07:00
Hey,

> What it does not do is run very well.  If I start either a lot of network
> traffic and/or disk traffic (say untar a file across nfs) we will
> hang and/or crash.

this is similar to what I am experiencing on my 9500 with g4 card.

is it mchk ?

last time that it crashed I could type "trace" in the debugger and I see
that it was a series of ffs_ syscalls wher it crashed, btw.

runing my older kernel, non-g4 aware, no cache, not optimized (compiled
by michael in from the 2.99 series) seems to be much more stable. But
speed sucks.

Btw, I wonder, I cna't remove the cache on my motherboard, it is
soldered. DOes it get disabled automatically, or is this kernel running
the g4 without its backside cache but still using the onboard cache? I
see no cache line in dmesg though.

-R