Subject: Re: wallstreet not wanting to boot NetBSD
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/26/2005 22:04:39
hi,

> Hello,
>
>> trying to boot from the cdrom -- as the guides tell -- via 'boot cd:0
>> blah' or 'boot cd:0,\blabla' doesn't work either.
>
> Check if the 'cd' devalias points at The Right Thing. Try to boot using
> the complete device path ( boot <devicepath>,\ofwboot.xcf
> hd:<number>/<kernel name> )

i've tried this, too. the firmware doesn't throw an error, but half a second
later it 'resets' the lcd, the gray Mac OS 9 background appears, and a few
seconds later it boots MOS9. i'm sure the files are where they're supposed
to be and that i point OF into the right direction.

>> as this thing is in standard config i just hope somebody can give me a
>> hint.
>
> I /think/ Chris Tribo runs NetBSD on such a machine ( or at least on
> something fairly similar )

yip, he was so kind to mail me his X config (which runs on a wallstreet).

>> i'm willing to use this machine as my primary email and web
>> machine and would be very happy to use it's serial port for some
>> cisco/nortel/xyz stuff. but i don't want to spend days on figuring out
>> how to boot it ;)
>
> I don't need to set real-base and load-base on any of my macppc boxes
> for quite some time now ( one has OF 1.0.5, the other 3.something ) - in
> fact setting them seemed to cause trouble with 1.0.5

tried both with and without. no success :/

cheers,

timo