Subject: What a difference L2 cache makes
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/25/2005 22:13:41
I've been playing with a 750gx accelerator which is now in my colocated
PowerMac 9600, and I thought this was interesting. Even though it's a 1
GHz CPU, it defaults to 500 MHz when it boots, and I'm not going to
experiment with a colocated machine which is 3500 miles away - I'll get
another accelerator and figure out setting the PLL locally sometime soon.

So I have a 500 MHz G3 CPU with 1 meg of L2 running at full CPU speed. I
never expected it to be so fast!

          Successful make distribution
          build.sh started: Wed Jun 22 02:35:16 PDT 2005
          build.sh ended:   Wed Jun 22 07:56:50 PDT 2005

5 hours and 21 minutes is pretty good for a 9600!

John