Subject: Re: good old 604e and perfomance issues
To: None <ctribo@dtcc.edu>
From: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/24/2005 20:19:48
ctribo@dtcc.edu wrote:

> If the kernel doesn't report it, it's not enabled. You should try to get an
> L2CR entry in your kernel config to enable the G4s L2 cache, or try Tim
> Kelly's boot loader that enables the caches before loading the kernel.
>
> I don't think any CPU is going to do very well with only L1 cache and a slow
> data bus(50 MHz?)
>
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2001/01/05/0007.html

hey. this was indeed it!
For therecord... I opened the cpu card, since no code on it would have
me led to its speed.

It is almost for sure a newertech maxpower g4 400/200. The cpu itself is
marked as 400Mhz. I almost had bet this thing was a 450. Maybe default
overclocked? :)
I have pictures of this if it is interest of someonee. The DT351 card
seems to have been used by a lot of upgrades. I made pictures of the
general layout and one where the cache chips are well visible. My 7400
is "motorola" :-)

cpu0 at mainbus0: 7400 (Revision 2.7), ID 0 (primary)
cpu0: HID0 8294c0a4<EMCP,ECLK,DOZE,DPM,EIEC,ICE,DCE,SGE,BTIC,BHT>
cpu0: 409.10 MHz, no-parity 1MB WB L2 cache (PB SRAM) at 2:1 ratio

I'll stress the box a bit now and let's see how it does; Seems to work
_much_ better now, I run the same small benches and the difference.. is
noticeable. Now it beats my old cpu consistently.

-R