Subject: Re: RS232 Serial connection problem
To: Tomas D <u0giene@yahoo.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/16/2005 16:57:11
--WfZ7S8PLGjBY9Voh

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 11:14:14AM -0700, Tomas D wrote:
> =20
>  Hi,
>=20
> I've got a problem connecting to my cisco router from
> macppc9500(/dev/ttyZ0) with netbsd 2.0.2 on it.

Please wrap your lines to something like 72 columns.

> I'm using ttya or modem port(mini din8 f) on my mac, I've cut my 16$ mini=
 din8 - db25 cable to
> discover that there are 5 wires (I was expecting to see 6 [should have red
> http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/Hardware/Misc/serial.html#mac more ca=
reful] so my pins are:=20
> 1 HSKo
> 2 HSKi
> 3 TxD-
> 5 RxD-
> 4 GND=20
> 6,7,8- either gnd or not connected
>=20
> cisco console where pinouts are:
> 1  	RTS  	Request To Send  	-->
> 2 	DTR 	Data Terminal Ready 	-->
> 3 	TXD 	Tranceive Data 	-->
> 4 	n/c 	Not connected 	=20
> 5 	n/c 	Not connected 	=20
> 6 	RXD 	Receive Data 	<--
> 7 	DSR 	Data Set Ready 	<--
> 8 	CTS 	Clear To Send 	<--
>=20

> so I'm fine connecting(mini din8 - rj45) pins 1 to 1, 2 to 8, 3 to 3, 5
> to 6 I'm left over with 2 pins on cisco that are DSR(Data Set Ready) and
> DTR(Data Terminal Ready) which according to some people I spoke with
> arent that important. I'm trying to connect to my cisco router using:

That won't work. Both pin 1's are outputs and pin 2/8 are both inputs.=20
Try:

Mini8	RJ45	Name
1	8	Mac's ready to receive
2	1	Cisco's ready to receive
3	6	Data from mac to Cisco
5	3	Data from Cisco to Mac

Shame about pins 6-8 on the mac. I hope 7 is tied to ground...

Note also that full hardware handshaking here would require cdtrcts=20
handshaking. NetBSD named HSKo DTR, HSKi CTS, and GPi DCD.

> #cu -l /dev/ttyZ0 -s 9600
> after which I'm getting:
> Connected.

Sounds like cable issues.