Subject: Re: Apple switches to intel -- welcome to the 'historic section', port-macppc
To: Dan LaBell <dan4l-nospam@verizon.net>
From: Erik Winkler <ewinkler@erols.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/07/2005 08:55:14
I perform security penetration tests on internal corporate networks
all the time for my clients.  I can't remember the last time I didn't
fully compromise a company's Windows-based domain control in the
space of a few hours.  It's not the processor that leads to worms or
virii, its the OS.  MacOSX is based on BSD Unix and has all BSD's
security strengths.  These strengths will be maintained with the
switch to Intel.  When you overflow a MacOSX app buffer and get a
remote shell, you have very limited privileges to read and write
data.  When you do this on Windows, you are NT Authority/System and
can access password hashes and install backdoor programs any where
you want.  Virus writers know this and bash MS Windows everyday for it.

There is also just as much PPC shell code on the Internet as there is
x86 shell code.  Take a look at the PPC shell code options available
under Metasploit (http://www.metasploit.com/).  A virus or worm would
first have to exploit MacOSX to get a local user shell, then escalate
the privileges to Admin to do anything.  Even then you don't have
full root privileges, so you can't make changes to the OS core.  So,
without a vulnerable OS, the shell code isn't as dangerous.