Subject: Re: Apple switches to intel -- welcome to the 'historic section',
To: Peter Hessler <phessler@theapt.org>
From: Dan LaBell <dan4l-nospam@verizon.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/07/2005 03:15:21
On Jun 6, 2005, at 3:49 PM, Peter Hessler wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 03:43:17PM -0400, Jeffrey Hergan wrote:
>
> :Is it fact that Apple is switching to Intel or is it only rumor?
> :And wouldn't Intel be able to make a PPC chip?
>
> Fact. Apple is switching to the Pentium4 (although why they are going
> to ia32, rather than to amd64/emt64, doesn't make any sense to me).
>
> Intel could, but Apple chose to go x86.

I was hoping it would be something other than x86, even if it just
differed in microcode,
and lose some x86 cruft.  But, they may have a point, once you start
running hot, you might as well cook -- I liked the performance per watt
of the G3, but I never found myself impressed with G4 and G5... Seems
like low power, is more of discrete thing (if not binary), than a
continuous spectrum of wattage.

Does this also mean that we'll be seeing more cross platform worms and
exploits, as
the only the OS trap mechanism with differ in any shell code?

Will the new machines still boot with openfirmware?, and I'm guess
they're keeping the Apple partition map ( or not ? ). Incidentally,
does the i386 port read an Apple partition map?