Subject: Problems booting NetBSD after installation
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/03/2005 21:09:44
Hi,

I'm trying to install NetBSD on my iBook G3.  I booted the installation,
ran pdisk, zapped all the partitions, created a new partition map, left
space for a future hfs partition to put ofwboot.xcf in, and created two
Apple_UNIX_SVR2: one for root and one for swap.  Then I manually (w/o
sysinst) NetBSD on the just created root partition without problems.
(I first tried with sysinst, which destroyed the pdisk partitions and
created its own one.)

But now, I can't find a way to boot the system.  I'm trying what I see
in the installation notes and in the FAQ with no luck.  The thing is
that I still have ofwboot.xcf on the CD, so the following, as I
understand it, should work from within OpenFirmware 3:

	boot cd0:,ofwboot.xcf hd:2

But it always barks "No such file or directory":

>> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.10
>> (jmmv@dawn.home.network, Sat Apr 16 17:09:23 UTC 2005)
open hd:2: No such file or directory
Boot:

No matter what I try at this prompt works, except for 'netbsd.gz' which
boots the kernel from the CD drive.  And, according to ofwboot(8), the
loader should be able to access files in any device recognized by
openfirmware, isn't it?

What am I missing/doing wrong?

Thanks,

--