Subject: Booter for Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) can boot NetBSD?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Berna <eberna@asq.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/27/2005 12:00:08
Hi,

I've got an old Blue and White G3 as a testing machine at my desk, and I was
trying out Mac OS X 10.4 on it instead of my production machine.  I need to
reposition this machine as an http server, so I thought I would install
NetBSD on it.  I wanted to keep Mac OS X 10.4 on the machine, just in case,
so I set it up as a dual boot machine.

I installed NetBSD, and got it booting, when I needed to switch back to Mac
OS X for something. Open Firmware had boot-file set to ide1/@0:11,/netbsd.
I rebooted the machine, which stopped at the Open Firmware prompt.  I typed
in mac-boot, thinking it would boot Mac OS X.  I got the Mac boot grey
pattern screen, showing that the Apple software was doing the booting, but
it booted NetBSD.

Is that expected behavior?

Eric Berna
eberna@asq.org