Subject: Re: powerbook g3 (ofw 2.0.2) booting problem
To: Richard Roberts <richard.roberts@port.ac.uk>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/15/2005 12:31:52
On Sat, 14 May 2005, Richard Roberts wrote:

> This works so I have an install *somewhere* on the system!
> It's the *somewhere* that's bugging me, especially as DIR doesn't seem
> to be implemented...

OpenFirmware can't read the NetBSD file system, so its not going to ever
work.

> Having had a successful-ish install, I'm going to assume that the
> openfirmware has been patched.

Not necessarily.

This is a mangled nvramrc from my OF 2.0.1 machine. No idea if the line
wrapping is going to cause problems. If you don't see this in printenv
then it's not patched.

nvramrc
     hex
     : $D find-device ;
     : $E device-end ;
     : $L BLpatch ; : $R BRpatch ;
     : $X execute ;
     : $P 0 to my-self property ;
     : &a " /chosen" $D $P $E ;
     : &c " ata-enable" $call-parent ;
     : helpb " backlight-on" _pmu-ihandle $call-method ;
     10 buffer: km
     devalias ide0 /pci/@10/ata0
     devalias ide1 /pci/@10/@34/ata1
     devalias ide4 /pci/@d/@34/ata4
     dev /aliases
     : $M delete-property ;
     " ata-int" $M
     " ata0" $M
     " ata1" $M
     " ata4" $M
     dev kbd
     get-key-map km swap move
     $E
     : ck 0 do swap dup 3 >> km + c@ 1 rot 7 and << and or loop ;
     : bootr 0d word count encode-string " machargs" &a
     0 0 1 ck if 0 and else dup 1 = if 3d 0 1 else f 3d 0 2 then ck if 40
or then then
     40 and if bye else helpb 1e 0 do ['] boot catch drop 1f4 ms loop the
     : myboot boot-command eval ;
     dev enet
     62 ' READ 7 - c!
     : READ { _p _n ; _a } begin _p _n bead -> _a _a 2+
     if _p c@ 80 and 0= else 1 then until _a ;
     $E
     dev /packages/obp-tftp
     : $M over + ['] noop $L ;
     : $O ['] open + ;
     : $M1 dup 24 - -1720 $O $X 6 move 14 + ;
     -5BC $O ' $M1 $L
     0 $O E8 $M EC $M F0 $M F4 $M F8 + ' true $L
     $E
     dev /packages/mac-parts
     : $M -7E86F0 $X 8000 alloc-mem 7F00 + 4 -7E86F0 $X ;
     ' load 268 - ' $M $L
     ' load 160 + '
     dev ide0
     : open use-ata-interface 0 &c -1 ;
     : set-device-ID set-drive-select ;
     $E
     dev mac-io/@34
     1 value &f
     : ata-enable &f if 1000 ms &c 1000 ms 0 to &f else drop then ;
     $E
     dev ide1
     : open use-ata-interface 1 &c -1 ;
     : set-device-ID set-drive-select ;
     : reset-atapi-bus reset-ata-bus ;
     $E
     dev pci1/@d/@34
     : ata-enable &c ;
     $E
     dev ide4
     : open use-ata-interface 1 &c -1 ;
     : set-device-ID set-drive-select ;
     : reset-atapi-bus reset-ata-bus ;
     $E
     dev scsi
     : $M ['] do-cmd + ;
     : $M2 5 us -5f0 $M $X ;
     : $M3 -710 $M f over $X $X ;
     : $M4 1 ms ;
     -1AC $M ' $M2 $L
     100 $M ' $M3 $L
     120 $M ' $M4 $L
     124 $M ' 1 $L
     $E
     unselect-dev

--
The nice thing about Windows is - It does not just crash, it displays a
dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.