Subject: Re: brightness control on an ibook g4
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Antoine Reilles <Antoine.Reilles@loria.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/13/2005 23:46:48
--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

Hi,

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 07:39:16AM -0400, Michael wrote:
> Hmm, I didn't look at this stuff yet. ( but I've got the same hardware
> so I'll probably do it when I have time )
Oh yes, please do.
I tried to play with it, but i was not really sucessful.
The only thing i got is that the value is not stored in nvram, except for s=
ome values.
When i see the nvram value to be changed, then the machine just power down.
This happens when the value for brightness is set at his higher value, 0x68
>=20
> > I looked into the linux code, and it seems they do not pass the same
> > values as netbsd does for the PMU_SET_BRIGHTNESS command, but use an
> > array of values:
> >=20
> > static int backlight_to_bright[] __pmacdata =3D {
> >   0x7f, 0x46, 0x42, 0x3e, 0x3a, 0x36, 0x32, 0x2e,
> >   0x2a, 0x26, 0x22, 0x1e, 0x1a, 0x16, 0x12, 0x0e
> > };
> > can this be the cause of the netbsd problems with abtn ?
>=20
> Maybe.
>=20
> > Another problem is that the CPU speed is not well recognized. macosx
> > says it is a 800MHz processor, but dmesg on netbsd says 614MHz, and
> > the machine is a bit slow.
>=20
> The detected speed is almost certainly correct - OF simply doesn't start
> the CPU at full speed and NetBSD doesn't know (yet) how to change that.
>=20
> > For my personal use, it's fine like that, it it can help the machine
> > to keep cold, and give more autonomy, but is it possible to change for
> > the highest speed ?
>=20
> CPU sleep mode doesn't work yet on this kind of G4, at least it didn't
> last time I checked ( about 2 months ago ) so keeping it like this is
> probably a good idea, at least until we can get it to cool down properly
> when idle.
Yes, this is usefull, since there is no fan control. I already experience a=
 few
random gcc internal errors, probably dues to how hot my laptop can be with =
huge
compilations. Hopefully, many things can be cross-compiled.
>=20
> I have a patch lying around to add a userland interface for the sensor /
> fan controller which helps a lot to keep it cool ( by allowing you to
> change temperature when the fan kicks in ) but it's not committed yet.=20
Have you changed this patch since your first post ?
I will be happy to test it, where can i get it ?

regards,
antoine

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT--