Subject: Re: G3 beige (with OF 2.4 and XpostFacto and OpenDarwin ...)
To: gerard <gerard@azurline.com>
From: Dan LaBell <dan4l-nospam@verizon.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/12/2005 05:27:02
On May 11, 2005, at 4:48 PM, gerard wrote:

> *This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(tm)
> Pro*
> Hello,
>
> I have many trouble trying to install NetBSD on a G3 beige (OF 2.4). I
> have not a big experiences, but that go very well to install it on a
> 7600/120!
>
> I have tray to install OpenDarwin, and to do that, I use XpostFACTO
> (http://www.opendarwin.org/projects/XPostFacto/) A little utility that
> change the nvram values, and that lets install the news mac os on
> oldworld machines.
I was wondering about XPostFacto, you say have install opendarwin with
it?
And, is it that, that is what XpostFacto does, nothing else?  From the
ads, I thought
it wrapped the installer...

> May be some one can help me to found the exact command we have to
> change in the nvram, on adapt the XPostFacto to install NetBSD in a
> easy way on the old machine
if one could dump the open firmware before and after, I think there
something posted
to the list to do that, I can't find it...

> regarding the interesting post of Fabrice Delambre
> (http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2003/06/05/0000.html)
> referred in the NetBSD/macppc Model Support, it's speak about the
> "boot-command" 0 bootr ...
> I look on the OF variables installed by XpostFaxto on the G3 : it's
> have install : "bo

 From the post you reference, bootr  is from the system disk patches ,
does XpostFacto
include that image, and fix it so it works where it doesn't?, did they
have to get rights
to use it? Or did they reverse-engineer it , and re-imp it? I mean, one
could maybe try 'see bootr'... but perhaps one could just clobber the
darwin, after corrrectly install, you say you did opendarwin , so it is
not actually osx?

> "boot-command 0 boort -v    boot"
is it really this? or maybe "boot" is actually in the default column of
printenv?
-- just that this really looks like a hodgepodge of forth syntax idioms.

Also from the referenced post:
> Final Note :
>
> Every time you reboot, you'll have to "0 bootr" in Open Firmware.
> I have not been able to auto-boot the kernel.
> I have tried "setenv boot-command 0 bootr", but the screens goes white
> and nothing happens (seems like an endless loop if 0 bootr uses boot
> ...) Any suggestion on this point is welcomed.

This sounds , like a familiar problem with OF3 machines.
Try inserting 1 of:
" screen" output
s" screen" output
output-device output

It seems like apple doesn't like the output from OF, too PC like I
guess, so the display
isn't turned on, until 'quit' in OF, which doesn't get called if it
autoboots, leaving
whatever is booted to try to turn it on.  I found to completely get
console I/O
in forth to work, I needed this:
  input-device input
  output-device output