Subject: brightness control on an ibook g4
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Antoine Reilles <Antoine.Reilles@loria.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/10/2005 13:23:36
--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

Hi all,

I installed -current on my ibook g4, and it works fine, exept a few annoying details.

The most important is that the abtn key does not work, and that if i try to use
the brightness keys, it simply looks like it does nothing. Typing 5 or 6 times
the brightness down or up button simply power down the machine, and resets the
time and date.
It's stange, since it is reported to work on linux (and also openbsd, but they
do use another technique for setting brightness, using OF_call_method_1, and
not pmu and nvram.

I looked into the linux code, and it seems they do not pass the same values as
netbsd does for the PMU_SET_BRIGHTNESS command, but use an array of values:

static int backlight_to_bright[] __pmacdata = {
  0x7f, 0x46, 0x42, 0x3e, 0x3a, 0x36, 0x32, 0x2e,
  0x2a, 0x26, 0x22, 0x1e, 0x1a, 0x16, 0x12, 0x0e
};
can this be the cause of the netbsd problems with abtn ?

Another problem is that the CPU speed is not well recognized. macosx says it is
a 800MHz processor, but dmesg on netbsd says 614MHz, and the machine is a bit
slow.
For my personal use, it's fine like that, it it can help the machine to keep
cold, and give more autonomy, but is it possible to change for the highest
speed ?

Thanks for your help, and for your work making netbsd available on this
architecture,

antoine

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD--