Subject: Re: MYLEX DAC920P
To: Andreas Drewke <andreas_dr@gmx.de>
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@floodgap.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/09/2005 12:21:21
> Yes the ANS 700 is a mix between mac hardware and RS/6000 which runs a
> customized version of IBM's AIX.

I wouldn't say that. It's actually very much like a 9500 at its roots,
except for the video subsystem and the SCSI-2 controller (and, obviously,
the ROMs). The other key difference is the fact it can take parity FPM.
However, the Bandit controller and much of the board guts are standard
issue Old World Power Macintosh with a slightly newer OF.

Apocryphal(?) stories even circulate about ANSes being modified/coerced
into booting MacOS, but it doesn't support internal SCSI, so it really drags.

I own two ANSes, btw: a 500, which is my production server and is in fact
sending you this message, and a 700, which I use for testing. Unfortunately,
I do not own the RAID card.

See the Shiner forums at http://www.shiner.info/ for a little more.

 Cameron Kaiser, Floodgap Systems Ltd * So. Calif., USA * ckaiser@floodgap.com
-- How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all? -- F.T.