Subject: Re: modifier key remap can be improved?
To: Magnus Henoch <mange@freemail.hu>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/05/2005 17:28:44
On Thu, 05 May 2005 22:44:56 +0200
Magnus Henoch <mange@freemail.hu> wrote:

> But if Tiger can do this properly, so can NetBSD.  I have been meaning
> to debug this option, but I haven't gotten around to do it...

It may be tempting to look over the recently released Darwin code for
Tiger, but I'd recommend against doing so.  Apple's APSL is not
compatible with BSD licensing.  I believe it merely a matter of time
before Apple starts applying legal muscle behind their
license requirements on anything or anyone that could be
competitive with Apple with code that might have come from Darwin.  A
"cease-and-desist" order while the courts sort it out would be the first
step, and I doubt NetBSD has the means to defend themselves in court.

The best option is not contaminate any NetBSD code with code that even
hints of being derived from Darwin.  Apple is in the business of making
money, not open source operating systems.

tim