Subject: Re: Questions about Performa 6360.
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/26/2005 17:53:16
--QWRRbczYj8mXuejp

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 05:48:07PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 07:32:04AM -0400, Michael wrote:
> > Hello,
> >=20
> > > -- Booting from SATA I care not, I will be using the 1.2gig HDD that =
was in
> > > the machine to boot the kernel then onto the SATA drive :)(any good
> > > references for doing this style of boot?) So that means that any SATA=
 card
> > > should work as OF will not need to boot from it??
>=20
> The one thing you should remember is that we use OF to actually load the=
=20
> kernel. So the kernel itself has to not be on the SATA disk. :-|

Note you can also use a configuration where you have NetBSD root and usr
(and most of /var) on the internal IDE, but all of the files (cvs, nfs,
etc.)  that you care about on the IDE. / and /usr (not /usr/pkg nor
/usr/local)  can fit in 200MB or less, so you have a lot of room on that
old disk.

If you really really want to be a cvs server, get a lot of ram. If you can=
=20
keep your whole source tree in ram, you'll serve it up a LOT faster. TNF=20
does this with our server, and it makes a notable difference.

Take care,

Bill

--QWRRbczYj8mXuejp

--QWRRbczYj8mXuejp--