Subject: Re: Questions about Performa 6360.
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/26/2005 13:45:08
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Michael wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> -- Booting from SATA I care not, I will be using the 1.2gig HDD that
>> was in the machine to boot the kernel then onto the SATA drive :)(any
>> good references for doing this style of boot?) So that means that any
>> SATA card should work as OF will not need to boot from it??
>
> I've been using a ZIP drive on my hp300 box in a similar setup for ages
> ( because the braindead firmware wouldn't probe newer SCSI disks -
> strange enough it found the ZIP ) - the trick is to hardcode the
> location your root filesystem into the kernel image: config netbsd root
> on sd0a type ffs for instance. I always kept two kernels on a ZIP - one
> with root pointing to the big disk for normal operation, one pointing to
> the ZIP which contained a minimal NetBSD installation in case I mess up
> the disk, so I can repair things.
>
> Any SATA card with a supported controller should just work. That's the
> theory though, in real life there may be platform-specific issues
> because these things tend to be rather x86-centric so few of the drivers
> would have been thoroughly tested on anything else. There are people who
> used such cards in macppc, sparc64 and other PCI machines, better ask
> around on the respective mailing lists before buying anything. ( if a
> driver works on sparc64 chances are pretty good it will work on macppc
> too - same byte order, alignment requirements and so on )

 	If you are using raidframe to mirror or in other ways combine
 	disks you can set it to autoconfigure a root partition. When
 	a kernel loads it will by default pick an autoconfigured root
 	raid partition. Some people setup a raid mirror with only one
 	component to get the same effect without needing the second
 	disk :)