Subject: Re: setting OF in the dark
To: Peter Rooney <http@telus.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/19/2005 12:04:07
--NhBACjNc9vV+/oop

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 09:50:58PM -0700, Peter Rooney wrote:
> Bill Studenmund wrote:
>=20
> [ snip ]
> > 2) You can get MAC<->VGA adapters. That way you can plug a VGA monitor
> > into the /chaos/control, and will save you getting the video card
> [ snip ]
>=20
> I Got One.  Procured by kin, yay!  Only, when I use it, going into open=
=20
> firmware gives me a white screen with regularly spaced vertical green=20
> lines going the entire height of the screen, no prompt.  At least it's=20
> not black with the monitor's pulsing green 'disconnect' light...  `eject=
=20
> fd:` works (I think I can safely use eject as an unambiguous test of=20
> whether or not input is being accepted), but not `boot' or `boot=20
> cd:,\ofwboot.xcf'.  What does this mean?  Hosed hardware?  Or do I need=
=20
> to terminate a year-old goat without blemish at one end of the scsi chain?

There were a lot of things needed to get /chaos/control to work right.=20
Back when I had an 8500, I remember I had to shove a lot of stuff into=20
nvramrc to tweak the boot up around. I think the main issue was that OF=20
needed to delay in a few places to wait for the video to come up right but=
=20
it didn't.

Try looking at=20
http://www.netbsd.org/Prots/macppc/SystemDisk-tutorial/of105patch.html