Subject: Re: setting OF in the dark
To: Peter Rooney <http@telus.net>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/18/2005 20:19:47
--Signature_Mon__18_Apr_2005_20_19_47_-0400_QEBZdfpHKuxl3Gzt

> What I've been trying to do in the meantime is get the install going by=20
> manually changing the output device to the video card.  Not seeing the=20
> prompt or feedback has made this an exercise in futility.
OF would probably default to ttya instead of /chaos/control anyway.

> I have a linux install on another drive, and searching through
> /proc/device-tree/bandit/ has yeilded no clues.   The installation=20
> document suggests it would be something along the lines of
> `/bandit@F400000/ATY,mach64@D' or `/bandit/ATY,mach64', or
> `/bandit@F2000000', and nothing that google has offered has gotten more=20
> specific than that.  Because I don't have a second computer or a=20
> macintosh monitor to plug into the onboard video, I can't just ask at=20
> the OF prompt (which I can access, btw, and can even do `eject fd:' by=20
> typing blind, but I have yet to stumble across the correct `boot=20
> foo,\bar' combination to begin installation from the CD or the boot=20
> floppies.  Or maybe i have, and it's presenting a dialogue to the serial=
=20
> console instead of my video card.
It would help if you told us what kind of PCI video card you have.
The Apple System Profiler shows at least some part of the OF device name if=
 I remember correctly, if it doesn't try XPostFacto - don't try to install =
anything, just run it - in some not-too-obvious menu it lists all the outpu=
t devices OF knows about, your graphics board should show up there.

> Has someone compiled a list of valid output-device values for the=20
> various PCI slots on the various machines?  I suspect that if someone=20
> else also had an ATI card in their outermost PCI slot, I would just plug=
=20
> in their values.  That, or I'm missing something basic about the OF boot=
=20
> process.
You can leave the addresses out as long as the device name is unambiguous. =
So if you have a Mach64-based card in a PCI slot the device name is most li=
kely /bandit/ATY,mach64 - as far as I know the 7600 has only one bandit so =
we don't need to tell OF which one to use.

have fun
Michael