Subject: Re: storing nvaliases in NVRAM ('NVRAMRC not valid')
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: zeta.orionis <zeta.orionis@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/18/2005 17:07:36
What I've been typing is
nvalias bsd /pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/@0:9,ofwboot.xcf
(I had quite a lot of trouble originally working out what the boot
command should be. I eventually copied the ofwboot.xcf file to my Mac
OS partition manually; the installer hadn't done it for me. I put it at
the root level of my Mac partition, but it may be in the wrong place --
I don't know how I would have got it there if I hadn't had OS 9
installed, as that partition isn't recognised by BSD -- is there a way
to do this, and did I put it i the right place?)

nvramrc type gives me
okalias bsd /pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/@0:9,ofwboot.xcf
BUT when I try
boot bsd
the computer boots into OS 9 with extra blue text on the screen -- the
text disappears too quickly to read it all, but it says it's booting
/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/@0:10,\\:tbxi, then 'loading ELF.'

nvramrc dump gives me to the side of the hex output
devalias bsd /pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/@0:9,ofwboot.xcf
.devalias bsd /pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/@0:9,ofwboot.xcf
What's the .devalias bit for?

If I use devalias can I alias more than the device? For example, I can
already boot with
boot hd:9,ofwboot.xcf
I wanted to make this shorter.

After clearing with setenv nvramrc, I still get 'NVRAMRC not valid' on
trying nvstore.