Subject: Re: current kernel and scsi...
To: Riccardo Mottola <>
From: Michael <>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/18/2005 07:29:18

> > > note the last messages, the typical scsi/mesh/sync troubles...
> > Yeah, looks like the mesh patch didn't make it into 2.0.2 for whatever =
> well, more than 2.0.2, this is really just "cvs" of the same day. As you
> see the kernel identifies itself as 3.99. Make pressure so that your
> patches get commited ;)
Hmm, the patch /was/ committed. At least -current should work.

> but if the driver can DO mesh sync transfer if you force it, why can't
> it do when it is asked for after a negotiation ?
I have no idea. Did you enable sync in your kernel? I don't have any SCSI d=
evice here that tries to negotiate sync on its own so I can't test this cas=
e but it definitely works (for me) in the 'normal' case.

> anything I could do in my curernt situation? get userland to 2.0.2 for
> example? and what about X?
Getting the userland to something more recent is definitely a good idea, I'=
ll see if I can get my changes to XFree and ofb committed.=20

> I also have a TwinTurbo card now. I wonder how support for that one is ?
There's a driver in XFree86 that's declared beta for ages. No idea how well=
 it works, last time I looked the driver was pretty PC-centric, like most o=
f XFree.

> But since we have no DRI I wonder if there would a gain over the matrox
> at all...
More video RAM. XFree /likes/ offscreen buffers accessible by the blitter f=
or buffering bitmaps like patterns, glyphs, stuff behind windows, XRENDER a=
nd so on.

> Of course fixing the keyboard under X
> in a better way than my half-baked xmodmap would be more professional.
Shouldn't be too hard and I don't know what's really going wrong - the keyb=
oard codes should be the same for all platforms, thanks to wskbd but I had =
to xmodmap on every single one I tried ( macppc, sparc, sparc64 ) - only i3=
86 worked without it. XFree's keymaps are (almost) certainly not compiled i=
nto the Xserver so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to make up a =
wskbd map - /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb should be a good place to start.

have fun

Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (NetBSD)