Subject: Re: Problem: OF reset
To: Rui Paulo <rpaulo@netbsd-pt.org>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/14/2005 08:00:56
Hello,

> Before sending the original post, I tried StuffIt Expander for Linux, but
> somehow I still don't know what command line options. Also, it creates 3
> files: "Network Access Disk 7.5.sea.data", "Network Access Disk 7.5.sea.info"
> and "Network Access Disk 7.5.sea.rsrc" and my guess is that I should use
> the .data file skiping some header as http://macfaq.org/software/macos.shtml
> says, no ?
I guess what you got is only the data- and the resource fork from the original .bin file, I think it's still compressed. The output files should be
-rwxr-xr-x  1 ml  daemon     5130 Apr 14 07:35 Network Access Disk Read Me
-rwxr-xr-x  1 ml  daemon  1474644 Apr 14 07:33 Network Access.image
Hmm, file size is 84 bytes more than a 3.5" image should be, the first few bytes look like they belong to a filesystem ( contain the volume name and a few file names ) so I guess the excess data is at the end and just dd'ing it to a floppy should work.
There are several types of Macintosh disk images, this one seems to be the 'raw' type - no header or anything. Other types can contain all kinds of stuff like checksums, passwords, scripts, compression...

> Btw, what options should I use for stuffit expander ?
Good question, I've never used a non-MacOS version and since pkgsrc/archivers/stuffit is x86-only I can't use it here without a LOT of work.

> If you never use stuffit expander for Linux here is the usage text:
> [...]
> -e=  --eol=[unix|win|mac]       text type for expanded files
This should only apply to the Readme file - you'll probably want it to convert newlines ( --eol sounds line End Of Line ) to unix-style, but in doubt better leave it at mac ( I hope this does nothing )

> -m=  --macbinary=[off|auto|on]  MacBinary output option for two-fork expanded
> files
> [...]
The file is a MacBinary, should be auto I guess although the only fork you care for is the data fork ( resource should be some program code for  MacOS so it will unpack itself when run from the Finder )

> -t=  --text=[off|auto|on]       text conversion for expanded files
Should also apply only to the Readme, in doubt better leave it turned off.

have fun
Michael