Subject: Re: Xfree configuration on iBook
To: David Bariod <david.bariod@wanadoo.fr>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/10/2005 12:12:03
Hello,

> I have recently installed NetBSD 2.0 on my g3 ibook.
> After a few days, It seems I've succeeded to configure Xfree.
> But I still have an issue with mozilla which may be related to the X
> configuration.
> When:
>     - scrolling text on the browser
>     - I put a window over a mozilla window
>       and then putting the mozilla window on top again
>     - opening menu
>     - clicking on button
>
> Thin vertical and horizontal line appears at the position where was
> the former frame borders.
This sounds a bit like a blitter vs. video memory problem. Maybe XFree86 is overclocking your graphics chip. But since it happens only with mozilla that's not very likely.

> I only have this behaviour with mozilla, so it seems it is rather
> mozilla specific problem.
gecko has various macppc-specific problems, I get misplaced text with wrong attributes all over the place, but no horizontal lines. Only with applications that use gecko so I'd suspect a bug ( or some wrong assumptions ) in the PowerPC-specific part of XPCOM but that's a hell of a beast to debug.

> Does someone have any hints for the reasons of this problem ?
Not really. For some people it helped to update X from sources or to recompile mozilla though.
btw. Konqueror doesn't have these problems.

have fun
Michael