Subject: Re: Setting I/O devices for a PCI video card
To: Rui Paulo <rpaulo@netbsd-pt.org>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/09/2005 15:56:00
Hello,

> I own a Umax S900 (Pulsar) PowerMac clone. I'm trying to get into the
> Open Firmware prompt, so I set these OF variables:
>
> output-device /bandit/IMS,tt128mb
> input-device kbd
check the output-device, OF 1.0.5 is extremely picky and will fall back to ttya if the device path isn't 100% correct.
The path above refers to one of the upper two PCI slots, the other four are controlled by the PCI bridge - lots of graphics boards (or better - their firmware) don't like sitting there. If you want to use one of the lower slots the path would be /bandit/pci-bridge/whatever

> This didn't worked, as the screen got blank (just like going into serial).
Are you sure the TT128 supports the OF console mode? I had a TT3D once which did, so I guess yours will too, but I have a few boards ( by Matrox ) that don't although they work fine with MacOS. Check if your card has the newest firmware ( in case it can be updated without soldering )

> I'm thinking about if I really need to do the serial cable or I'm doing
> something wrong.
Maybe a spelling error. The name is case-sensitive.

> What's the problem where ? Anyone with an Umax S900 that could provide me
> with some information on how to get into Open Firmware ?
I've got an S900, but my output-device is /bandit/3Dfx,Voodoo3 :)

good luck
Michael