Subject: Fail to get Seagate Barracuda (ST32171W) work
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Tomas D <u0giene@yahoo.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/06/2005 11:43:27
 Hi,
I got Seagate ST32171W drive
(http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/scsi/st32171w.html)
before I put it in my 9500/200 mac:
 1) I set SCSI ID to 1 using front jumper (my other
drive is located on scsi-int/sd@0:0),
 2) set J2 jumper on harddisk board to "Enable motor
start"(the drive waits for the start unit command from
the host before starting spindle motor)
Apply power to my mac and boot:
Open Firmware, 1.0.5
To continue booting the MacOS type:
BYE<return>
To continue booting from the default boot device type:
BOOT<return>
 ok
0 > boot scsi-int/sd@0:0
        (stopped for a bit)
0 > boot scsi-int/sd@0:0  can't OPEN: scsi-int/sd@0:0
 ok
        (trying again)
0 > boot scsi-int/sd@0:0 RESETing SCSI bus

OF_open bootpath=scsi-int/sd@0
read stage 2 blocks: 0123456. done!
starting stage 2...

>> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.10
>> (builds@build, Wed Dec  1 13:46:04 UTC 2004)
4435240\

So my mac boots up and right where information about
drives on dmesg is:
scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
scsibus1: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
sd0 at scsibus1 target 0 lun 0: <QUANTUM, FIREBALL
SE3.2S, PJ0A> disk fixed
sd0: drive offline
mesh0 target 1: rejecting extended message 0x1
mesh0: unexpected disconnect
probe(mesh0:0:1:0): generic HBA error
boot device: sd0
root on sd0a dumps on sd0b
root file system type: ffs

I cant see nothing appart from /dev/sd0 using
disklabel either... so what I do is take Seagate
ST32171W drive out
Open Firmware, 1.0.5
To continue booting the MacOS type:
BYE<return>
To continue booting from the default boot device type:
BOOT<return>
 ok
0 > boot scsi-int/sd@0:0
OF_open bootpath=scsi-int/sd@0
read stage 2 blocks: 0123456. done!
starting stage 2...

>> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.10
>> (builds@build, Wed Dec  1 13:46:04 UTC 2004)
4435240|
(stars from the 1st attempt)

the dmesg section where the diskinfo:
scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
scsibus1: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
sd0 at scsibus1 target 0 lun 0: <QUANTUM, FIREBALL
SE3.2S, PJ0A> disk fixed
sd0: drive offline
boot device: sd0
root on sd0a dumps on sd0b
root file system type: ffs

I've tried changing Seagate ST32171W drive SCSI ID to
2 same story...

Any ideas what can be causing that?

 Tomas

Yahoo! Messenger