Subject: Re: Serial port disconnect dumps debugger
To: Matthew Reilly <ttam1967@gmail.com>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@tastylime.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/05/2005 07:44:32
--------------enigDA65B0F0BBA58FDA9912E25D

Matthew Reilly wrote:

>I know I had this problem once before with my 68k macs ( I think)
>
>I just installed current on my Umax C500 (with 280mhz G3 upgrade) and
>it's working great. The only problem is when I unplug the serial
>console it dumps into the debugger. I know this is because
>disconnecting the cable sends a break. I read some solutions involving
>shorting two pins of the serial port with a resistor or recompiling
>the kernel with "options DDB_FROMCONSOLE=0" but I could swear there
>was another way to do this. Like changing the system console from the
>serial port? Does that make any sense?
>
>thanks,
>
>Matt Reilly

Well, if the system console is not the serial port (which is settable in
OpenFirmware), then it won't do this.   There's also a sysctl to set the
key sequence to trigger DDB - I seem to recall it doesn't work on
macppc, but I could be wrong.  It's "hw.cnmagic"  Use sysctl to set it
to a sequence of keys... I sometimes use "|}{".

+j