Subject: Re: Powermac 6500/250 with L2 cache G3 upgrade
To: Adam Kranzel <adam@blacktabby.org>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/04/2005 21:35:55
Hello,

> That's correct, Michael and Matthew. I'm trying to enable the G3
> upgrade card in the L2 cache slot. The original (and soldered on)
> 250MHz 603e works just fine. I realize that these cards are a major
> hack, and it may not be possible to get it to work, but it'd be nice to
> have the slightly faster machine if there's a way to do it.
>

> dmesg (from custom kernel) is:
> cpu0 at mainbus0: 603ev (Revision 2.1), ID 0 (primary)
> cpu0: HID0 90c001<DOZE,DPM,ICE,DCE,NOPTI>

That's why I was asking for dmesg output. Certainly won't break any speed records without L2 cache.

What kind of card is it ( besides sitting in the L2 slot ) - does it need any additional software to be recognized by MacOS? If so - does it leave anything funny in OF's nvramrc or something like that? If you're lucky this thing can be enabled with some OF voodoo ( Tim? You're the OF guru. )

have fun
Michael