Subject: Re: XF86 on macppc, issue 8472854 ;)
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/31/2005 19:01:05

Hello,

> hey, -current runs on my G4 again -- after it stopped working early
> october last year, but that's a different story...
Any idea what caused it?

> i'm running -current now and have XFree 4.4.0 installed (4.5.0's make
> failed -- no time to figure it out yet.)
Please try 4.5 ( but make sure to keep the 4.4 binaries ) - it has
serious problems here and I'd like to now if it's just me. ( it will
freeze after a while, enter an endless loop in libpthread. ssh and so
on will still work su the process can be killed )

> however, X ran on my G4 with the XF86Config file applied (see below),
> but now i got every time i try to fire up X my screen out of sync --
> my monitor (22" CRT, really not crap ;) says 'Horizontal 260kHz,
> Vertical 208Hz' (blabla).
Ouch. I got similar nonsense when hacking my Voodoo3 half a year ago,
but that's hardly related ( and still works just fine )

> the important dmesg lines:
>
> (...)
> ofb0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0: ATI Technologies product 0x4966
> ofb0: 1600 x 1200, 8bpp
Ok, that's some sort of Radeon.

> http://snom.dyndns.org/XF86Config
Looks ok.

> http://snom.dyndns.org/XFree86.0.log
The server barfed and failed to reset the video stuff - a known problem
with (almost?) all Radeons:
(**) Option "Protocol" "wsmouse"
(**) wsmouse0: Protocol: wsmouse
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) wsmouse0: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/wsmouse1"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/wsmouse1
	Device not configured.
(EE) wsmouse0: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "wsmouse0"
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(II) Keyboard "Keyboard0" handled by legacy driver
(WW) No core pointer registered

> furthermore, this happens (with the same 'out-of-sync' values!) with
> every resolution i try to run...
No surprise - that's not the xserver running, it's the console after an
ungraceful exit of the Xserver.

> any hint? micheal? ;)
You're almost there. Hopefully. Make sure your XF86Config points to a
usable wsmouse, then the Xserver should at least run.
After that - as a workaround - you may want to use
Option "iBookHacks" "true"
in your device section and nail the resolution to whatever OF uses -
this option effectively prefents the Xserver from changing any video
timings ( it can still change colour depth though, so you'll get 24bit
). This should also cure the fscked up console when the Xserver exits.

have fun
Michael