Subject: Re: Apple UFS support and swap partition
To: Rob Newberry <robthedude@mac.com>
From: None <d.zanon@infinito.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/18/2005 22:44:38
On Friday 18 March 2005 20:09, Rob Newberry wrote:
> 1) Does NetBSD REQUIRE a swap partition?

I think so... when compiling anything, it will require swap space... I've
experienced it... And a swap partition to my knowledge must be
Apple_UNIX_SVR2 and not APPLE_UFS in the pdisk-label (or how should I call
it...)

> 2) What's the state of Apple UFS support in NetBSD-2.0 and/or later?
> I'm trying to use NetBSD-2.0, and I'd like to keep doing that, as
> binaries are available...

<snip>
> 	boot hd:,\ofwboot.xcf
>
> 	<blah blah complaint>
> 	open /netbsd: No such file or directory
> 	open /netbsd.gz: No such file or directory
> 	open /netbsd.macppc: No such file or directory
> 	Boot:
>
> I then enter:
>
> 	hd:10,/netbsd
>
> and the NetBSD kernel loads.

You could use in OF

boot hd:,\ofwboot.xcf hd:10/netbsd

or set the boot-device and boot-file variables...

> Unfortunately, at the end of the process, I get stuck with the
> following repeating sequence:
>
> 	cannot mount root, error = 69
> 	root device (default wd0a)
> 	dump device (default wd0b)
> 	file system (default generic)
> 	no file system for wd0 (dev = 0xa00 )
<snip>

Do the messages repeat over and over? You should write wd0b when it asks for
the root device, I think

<snip>

> Now, there are a few things I can think of that I need to see about
> resolving.
>
> I suspect that at least part of the problem is that the "flags" and
> mount point information isn't set -- "sysinst" has asked me for this
> information in the past, but I can't find a way to edit it (I thought
> pdisk would do that, but I can't seem to get pdisk to give me the
> option of changing flags on a partition).
>
> Is it possible to boot from an Apple UFS partition, without a swap
> partition?  Can this be made to work?

The first, yes, the second... you can, as long as you don't compile so much :)
> Rob

david :)