Subject: Re: Install guides (was Re: HI JASON, WELCOME TO OPEN FIRMWARE!)
To: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
From: Dan LaBell <dan4l-nospam@verizon.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/17/2005 04:41:58
On Mar 16, 2005, at 11:01 AM, Michael Wolfson wrote:

> Don't forget a pause for HDs to spin up, some means of breaking out of=20=

> the boot process, and (too much to ask for) some means of selecting=20
> which OS to boot and a program to run from that other OS which sets up=20=

> OF to boot NetBSD.

I have something, it's very alpha; its in forth, ,I can press [n] to=20
boot /netbsd,
[o] to boot /netbsd.old  [m] to mac-boot , and [q] to quit and jump=20
into openfirmware.  It doesn't autoboot, as it waits for a keypress, I=20=

can fix that easily, but it's all blind, no-menu or prompt displayed=20
when autoboot ;-[.

> On Mar 16, 2005, at 6:44 AM, Bill Squier wrote:
>
>> I don't like the merging idea if it means the subsequent demise of=20
>> the pocket
>> guide.  There's a difference between goals for the sake of goals and=20=

>> goals
>> that accomplish something.
>
> Well, in the past many people have written their own "my guide to=20
> installing NetBSD on foo" and they've languished.
<...>

Maybe a wiki, or something.  Are there any email driven wikis? =20
Something that could auto-magically keep track of all attachments in a=20=

thread, follow the threads recommended edits, and like cvs-web produce=20=

a page for the thread with all the files, and s/old/new/
would actually do something...  Or, perhaps that last chapter of=20
_Weaving the Web_ [1] managed to weave its way into my=20
subconscious=A0mind, and maybe just summaries would do it.

>> Nobody wants to be presented with a 50 billion page document that=20
>> they have
> <...>

> Yeah, I'm well aware of how much the macppc INSTALL notes are.  It=20
> seems that only recently user interest in OF 3 machines has exceeded=20=

> older models.  Cost, of course, is the primary issue.
Because of how long the the various Open Firmware Specific sections=20
are, its harder to skip over in hardcopy, also not easy in more/less, =20=

I found browsing w/ adjacent computer most effective, or hand writen=20
notes,w/ occasional screen-shot print out, but the complexity of it, I=20=

think it needs to go into a binder with color coded indexed tabs, kinda=20=

of like what you used to get from vendors,  or it quickly becomes a=20
waste of paper.

So, did I just say the document quality is /too/ good ? ;-]

[1] http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/Weaving/Overview.html=