Subject: Re: Beginner's guide to NetBSD on MacMini ( was Re: HI JASON,
To: Dominik Epple <epple@tphys.physik.uni-tuebingen.de>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/16/2005 08:05:10
--Signature=_Wed__16_Mar_2005_08_05_10_-0500_NMv_k26NjR.LUX_X

Hello,

> But since this topic is addressed now in this mailing list, I would
> like to tell you that I would be very interested in such a document --
> especially getting X w/ mouse and keyboard working.
I guess you had to fiddle with xmodmap? We should really get rid of that and have proper X keymaps for the most common keyboards...

> I guess KDE and OpenOffice and stuff follows then very easily (doh, this sounds like
> some very optimistic statements from someone not knowing better...)
Well, as long as we don't offer pre-built packages on CD the poor user will have to download them in MacOS or set up an internet connection in NetBSD. In theory it's pkg_add kde3 or cd /usr/pkgsrc/meta-pkgs/kde3; make update ( and MUCH time ) but we all know it's not quite as easy.

Last time I checked i386 was the only port that offers iso-images with more than the base OS, I think at least on macppc we should include pre-built KDE, WindowMaker and probably Gnome so the user has something to start with. Then we should finally find out what the hell is wrong with gecko on macppc - that's why I suggested including KDE, Konqueror works fine but anything gecko-based produces all kinds of funky rendering errors. So far I've been unable to track them down but they happen on both of my macppc boxes. The only app with remotely similar problems is bmp, I guess I'll check that next...
Maybe we should also set up cvs ( maybe set CVSROOT in root's .profile ) and include pkgsrc.

two more cents
Michael