Subject: Re: G3 (beige) OFW 2.0f1 boot problems
To: Robert Schien <robsch@robkaos.ruhr.de>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/12/2005 19:10:06
> My boot device is ide1/@0:0 . This Mac has a relatively new
> HD (80 GB) which is connected to ide1. Is this perhaps a problem?
> Can the system not boot from the second ide port?

It can boot from ide0 and ide1. ide0 is primary master (usually the HD)
and ide1 is secondary master (usually the CDROM). It cannot boot from a
slave ID device in OpenFirmware, but MacOS can boot slave devices if you
have a new enough ROM DIMM. Generally if you have a Rage Pro video chip it
can, if it's Rage IIc+DVD it can't without upgrading the DIMM.

I'm not aware of any problems with large HDs other than the possible 8 GB
boot/root partition limitation on some machines. I'll see if I can
reproduce it when I get a moment.

> The root partition is 1,5 GB. The rest is 1 GB swap and a large /usr
> partition.

That should be fine.

> The setting of the HD (master or CS) is unknown to me. Will check
> this tomorrow.

It shouldn't matter but I'm not sure if the old System Disk utility sets
up cable select and device ID correctly in the nvram patches. And some
Western Digital drives just don't work right if you set them to master or
CS instead of "single" in one drive per channel configurations.