Subject: Re: 9600s and 2 processors
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Walther <trag@io.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/11/2005 21:56:07
At 13:22 +0100 03/11/2005, Timo Schoeler wrote:
>hi,
>
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  [sorry for the somewhat offtopic message, but it will run NetBSD
>>  when installed so it's not too far offtopic :-)]
>>
>>  The home network is a bit short of (cheap) CPU so I was thinking
>>  of adding a 9600 to the mix.  Apple produced a 9600/200/mp system
>>  which I missed buying on ebay last week (Zuerich is too far to drive),
>>  so, I was wondering, can one buy a 9600 single processor machine
>>  and put a second processor in it?  If so, does one have to use the
>>  200 mhz processors?  Or is there something special about the multi
>>  processor boxes?
>>
>>  Thanks in advance!
>
>the box you mentioned had it's CPU(s) sitting on a daughterboard; the
>  logic board itself does not have a second CPU slot (but some clones DO
>  have, IIRC e.g. the UMAXens -- but they req'd a special 2nd CPU
>  board!).
>
>so if you want a 2nd 604(e), you have to remove the built-in card and
>  swap in the dual CPU card.
>
>furthermore, there was a dual board from Daystar (named 'nPower 360+'
>  or similar) which was used to power up 7500/7600 and so on, but they
>  are quite rare (e.g. on ePay).

Just to add a bit to Timo's excellent explanation...

Apple was strangely forsightful in designing the CPU slot for the
PowerSurge family (X500 and X600 machines).   There is already a
second interrupt and second set of memory/CPU bus arbitration lines
present in the pinout of the CPU slot.   This makes designing a two
CPU daughter board fairly simple--it was supported in the original
design of these machines.

But, as Timo wrote, you must find one of the 2 processor cards.
There are also four processor cards out there, which were more
complex to design.  You can install one of these cards in any machine
that has the PowerSurge style CPU slot, i.e. 7300 - 9600, but
probably not the 9600 Enhanced or the 8600 Enhanced, AKA Kansas.

Jeff Walther