Subject: G3 (beige) OFW 2.0f1 boot problems
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Schien <robsch@robkaos.ruhr.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/08/2005 20:48:23
After hours of playing with the open firmware I finally managed
to get my PowerMac G3 (beige) (Firmware 2.0f1) booting from a 2.0 floppy.

The system installed fine without any problems.

But as I tried to boot from the IDE harddrive the boot prcess
hung as soon as the stage 2 started. The - rotated a few times
and then the system hung.

I repeated this process with NetBSD-1.6.2 which I could boot
without any problems from the CD.(which did not work for 2.0,
always DEFAULT CATCHES, failed claims etc. I read all the Doc
about the various OFW variables, but nothing helped. )

I installed 1.6.2 without problems too.
But booting from the hard drive causes the same problem as above.
After a few rotations of the /, the system hung.

Any ideas how could get my system (1.6.2 or 2.0) boot from the
hard drive?

Meanwhile I tried to reinstall MacOS X 10.1. Unfortunately, no
more HFS volumes were found. Can I use a pdisk to create some
HFS volumes or how does it work?
I know this is merely a MacOS question, but I could not find
answers on the net so far and I think the NetBSD people are
knowledgeable and know how to do it :-))

Thanks in advance.

Robert