Subject: Re: reaching ddb via Stealth Serial Port on G3 b&w
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <wanker4freedom@web.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/03/2005 18:24:46
>> if so, the manual says that the Griffin Stealth uses the scca device
>
> I'm using a GeeThree serial port in my G4/400 (essentially the same
> thing), and scca is correct.

i'm about to buy one for my Sawtooth G4/450 Dual, but new they're quite
expensive and on ebay they're not sold that often... :(

>> is this sufficient?
>>
>>    #options 	DDB			# in-kernel debugger
>>    #options 	DDB_HISTORY_SIZE=100	# enable history editing
>
> Uncomment these.

yes, sorry, i should have mentioned this.

> You're probably more interested in DDB than KGDB for
> providing, say, backtraces from crashes.

DDB should be sufficient as the only thing i want to do is a bt (alas,
if i'm not asked to provide more information on this).

>> and uncomment (or add) the following three lines:
>>
>>    options 	KGDB		# remote debugger
>>    options
>> 	"KGDB_DEVNAME=\"com\"",KGDB_DEVADDR=0x3f8,KGDB_DEVRATE=9600
>>    makeoptions	DEBUG="-g"	# compile full symbol table
>>
>> is wonder because the remote debuggers' device name is 'com', and i
>> don't know whether 0x3f8 fits in.
>
> Those are i386-centric options

unfortunately... would be fine if this could be written in a more
cross-platform way.

>  - I'll see about noting that in the
> kgdb.html documentation. If you want to run kgdb on a macppc system
> with a serial port on scca, you could set KGDB_DEVNAME to "scca", but
> it's the default, and KGDB_DEVADDR is not needed at all (on the x86,
> it's the ISA I/O address of the port). KGDB_DEVRATE can be set if you
> like; it defaults to 19200, and you'd rather run faster if you can -
> (57600 might be the limit, but my console seems to run well at that
> speed).

my book runs 57600 very stable, so this is okay.

> Recap: Just "options KGDB" is enough to get kgdb going on scca at
> 19200. But you probably want DDB instead.

yip. i'll build a kernel ASAP and try this :)

>         - Nathan

thanks, nathan!

--
Timo Schoeler | http://macfinity.net/~tis
//macfinity -- finest IT services | http://macfinity.net

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.